Score: Mitchell College 64, Dean College 58
Records: Mitchell College (1-2), Dean College (0-4)
Location: New London, Conn.
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2018
Time: 6:00 PM
Despite racing out to a 22-7 first quarter lead, the Dean College Bulldogs were overcome by the Mitchell College Mariners on Tuesday, falling to their New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) foe 64-58.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Dean's 15 point first quarter lead was cut to five (32-27) by halftime.
- Mitchell controlled the third quarter, outscoring the visitors the 20-13 to take a two point lead into the final frame.
- An Iindia Pina (Carver, Mass.) jumpshot in the first minute of the fourth quarter knotted the game at 49, but Mitchell pulled ahead shortly after, ripping off 11 of the next 13 points to take a commanding lead.
- Dean responded to Mitchell's run. A layup from Pina cut the lead to four (58-54) with four minutes remaining and moments later Nicole Romero (Winchendon, Mass.) cut the lead to two with two and a half minutes left.
- Dean would get no closer, as Mitchell scored the six of the next eight points and hung on for the 64-58 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Freshman Makayla Rudder (Springfield, Mass.) paced the Bulldogs with 16 points and nine rebounds while also adding four steals. Pina finished with 13 points and four rebounds while also swiping seven steals. Jamaya Cleveland (Greensboro, Ga.) scored 10 points and collected three rebounds, four assists, and three steals.
- Dean shot 34% from the field while the Mariners fared better, shooting 44%. The Mariners also shot 44% from downtown, albeit with much fewer attemps (9) than the Bulldogs (27). Dean struggled from beyond the arc, shooting only 18.5%.
- The Bulldogs host Southern Vermont on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Franklin, Mass.