BOSTON, MA.- With the help of a team-best eight kills and seven digs performance from sophomore Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.), the Emerson men's volleyball team notched a 3-0 straight set victory over the visiting Dean College Bulldogs in non-conference action on Thursday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sophomore Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) followed Piorkowski with six kills.
- Junior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) registered 26 assists.
- Freshman Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.) co-led with Piorkowski with seven digs and freshman John Bucy (McLean, Va.) led the Lions defense with three blocks.
- Freshman Brendan Lynch (Dayton, Ohio) recorded a team-best three aces.
- Dean Bennett, Max Ginsburg and Gabriel McClain all tallied a pair of kills for Dean.
- McClain also led Dean with four assists and 10 digs, while Logan Muise led the defense with two blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the score squared at 3-all, Emerson broke the tie and tacked on five consecutive points to take an early 8-3 lead on a Dean attack error before the Lions bumped its lead to seven at 11-7 after a pair of aces by junior Stig Regan (Kailua, Hi.).
- The Lions continued to pull away from the Bulldogs and embarked on a four point push to put their lead into double figures at 16-6.
- After Dean cut Emerson's advantage in half at 18-9 on back-to-back Lions attack errors, the Lions closed the 25-9 opening set win with a 7-0 run that included a pair of kills from Piorkowski and a pair of aces by Lynch.
- Dean built a 4-0 lead over Emerson to begin to second frame and were up 6-3 before the Lions streaked a trio of points to square the score at 6-all on a Bulldogs attack error.
- The Bulldogs regained the 8-7 lead only to have the Lions answer with the next five of six points to grab the 12-9 advantage.
- The closest Dean would come within Emerson was two at 12-10 as the Lions went on to hold the Bulldogs to within no more than five.
- A kill from Kittivatcharapong capped off a 5-0 streak by the Lions to take its largest lead at 22-12.
- Dean put its two final points on the board on a swing by Muise and Emerson attack error to put the score at 22-14, but a pair of kills by Lynch helped the Lions seal the 25-14 set win.
- An early run of the first seven of eight points gave Emerson the 7-1 lead before they added a trio of points to snag the 10-2 lead on a kill from Rusk.
- Emerson continued to capitalize on Dean's mishaps and ballooned its lead into double digits at 14-4 a bad set and attack error by the Bulldogs.
- The Lions managed to hold a double-figures lead over the Bulldogs with the Bulldogs putting up six more points before Emerson distanced themselves and cruised to the 25-11 win.
- Emerson ceases play for the week and resumes action on Thursday, March 16 at #12 Rivier for a GNAC tilt at 7:00 p.m. that kicks off a series of four road matches.
- Dean closes the week out with a tri-match at Elms College on Saturday, March 4 and will face Lesley at 2:00 p.m. and Elms at 4:00 p.m.
Courtesy of Emerson College Athletics