Score: Wheaton College 6, Dean College 2
Records: Wheaton College (1-0), Dean College (0-1)
Location: Lippert Field, Franklin, Mass.
Date: Friday, August 31, 2018
Time: 4:00 PM
Visiting Wheaton College erupted for four first half goals enroute to a convincing 6-2 win over Dean College in a high-scoring season-opening win in non-league men's soccer action on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Thomas Gatanis teamed up with JD Souza less than eight minutes into the contest and the visiting Lyons were off and running.
- Wheaton doubled its lead in the 21st minute when Nick Vanini setup Curran Wait for a blast near the top of the box that he deposited in the back of the net.
- Antonio Regliano then connected with Brandon Hall, giving the Lyons a 3-0 lead at 38:10.
- Wheaton added another first half score when Wait converted a penalty kick with less than a minute left in the half.
- Dean finally got on the board almost immediately in the second half. Paulo Correia (Brockton, Mass.) sent a ball into the box that Devin Moore (Walpole, Mass.) was able to rise above and head home at 45:36.
- A little more than two minutes later, the Bulldogs had suddenly sliced the Lyons lead in half when Correia converted a penalty kick of his own, making the score 4-2.
- Five minutes later, however, Wheaton put the game away with a pair of goals less than a minute apart. First, Troy Mattos assisted on Adam Waks' marker and then Souza returned the favor by helping Gatanis get his first of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Lyons held a 21-10 advantage in shots, including a 14-3 bulge when they built their four goal first half edge.
- Dean netminder Brendan Pacheco (Fall River, Mass.) made eight stops in goal for the Bulldogs, who were led offensively by Correia, who ended with a goal and an assist.
- Dean has less than 48 hours before their next contest. They visit Pine Manor on Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.