Score: Dean 2, Rhode Island College 0
Records: Dean (1-0); Rhode Island College (0-1)
Location: Providence, R.I. (RIC Varsity Complex)
Date: Friday, September 1, 2017
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Playing less than ten miles from where he became a schoolboy star, Dean College freshman netminder Nathan Silveira (East Providence, R.I.) turned aside ten shots and picked up an assist as the Bulldogs blanked Rhode Island College, 2-0, in non-conference men's soccer action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bulldogs dented the scoreboard in the 11th minute when Pepe Vieira (Brockton, Mass.) sent a ball up the right side that Santiago Cardona (Revere, Mass.) chased down near the end line while beating his defender. Cardona then unleashed a blast that whizzed by Rhode Island College goalkeeper Matt Camara at 10:05.
- Silveira, meanwhile, kept the Anchormen off the board with several stellar stops, including a foot save early in the second half and then back-to-back stops on Dennis Vasquez in the 62nd minute.
- Dean put the game away in the 64th minute when Silveira took a free kick but it was mishandled by Camara near the top of the box and freshman Cristiano Martins (Brockton, Mass.) was there to pounce, delivering his first collegiate strike at 63:05.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The contest was extremely physical, with a combined 27 fouls and five yellow cards.
- Rhode Island College actually held a 20-8 advantage in shots – including a 7-1 edge in the first 45 minutes.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The win for Dean is the first for head coach Firmiano Ribeiro, who took over the program last November after a season as associate head coach.
- Dean's next match is on Sunday, September 3 at Anna Maria at 1:00 p.m.