Score: Dean College 90, Becker College 87
Records: Dean College (8-7, 3-3 NECC), Becker College (9-8, 4-2 NECC)
Location: Leicester, Mass. (Leicester Gymnasium)
Date: Saturday, January 20, 2018
Time: 3:00 PM
THE LEAD: A season-high 31 points from sophomore guard Jordan Booker (Waterbury, Conn.) powered the visiting Dean College Bulldogs past Becker College 90-87 on Saturday in NECC action in Leicester, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bulldogs led for most of the afternoon, but Becker stayed within striking distance. Dean took a 26-24 lead with six and a half minutes remaining in the first half and never relinquished it as Becker chipped away many times but could never overcome the deficit.
- Back to back threes from Booker capped an 8-0 run and gave Dean a 40-30 lead with a minute remaining in the first half. A layup from Becker's Daniel Flaherty Jr. and a jumper from the Bulldogs Josh Croskey (Union, N.J.) in the closing seconds made it 42-34 Dean going into the halftime break.
- Another three from Booker stretched Dean's lead to 11 early in the second half but Becker responded with a 7-0 run to cut the lead to four. An Armani Baker (Pawtucket, R.I.) layup extended Dean's lead to 60-53 and Malik Brown (Miami, Fla.) followed with a three pointer to stretch the Bulldog lead to ten.
- A Samuel Durodola three pointer cut the Bulldogs lead to four with four minutes remaining. Down the stretch, two Booker free throws extended Dean's lead to six with 18 seconds remaining, but Becker cut the lead to one on a Kareem Davis three pointer and got the ball back with 5 seconds remaining after two Croskey free throws. A three point attempt from Davis missed as time expired and the Bulldogs held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Booker led all scorers with 31 points. He shot 8-16 from the field and 6-8 from three point range. He also shot 9-10 from the free throw line. Croskey added 21 points and 14 rebounds, his fourth double-double of the season. Dayvon Russell (Naugatuck, Conn.) scored 18 points and Baker added ten points and seven rebounds.
- Davis led the Hawks with 27 points, shooting 9-16 from the field. Durodola scored 21, going three for three from downtown. Antonio White Jr. added 12 points and eight rebounds off the bench.
- The Bulldog's win was their second in their last three outings. They improved to 10-7 on the season and 4-2 away from home.
- The Bulldogs have a quick turnaround with a rare Monday night contest on the schedule next week. They will host Wheaton College at 7:00 at Pieri Gym in non-conference action.
- Becker travels to Mitchell on Wednesday for a 6:00 tip against another NECC foe.