Score: Mitchell College 94, Dean College 86
Records: Mitchell College (6-7, 2-0 NECC), Dean College (6-5, 1-1 NECC)
Location: New London, Conn.
Date: Thursday, January 11, 2018
Time: 5:30 PM
- The Dean College Bulldogs hung tough but eventually fell 94-86 to defending NECC Champion Mitchell College on Thursday, dropping to 6-5 overall and 1-1 in the league. The win improved the Mariners record to 6-7 overall and 2-0 in the NECC.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bulldogs fell behind early, trailing 8-1 in the opening minutes of the contest. They responded with a quick run of their own to tie the game at 8 before Mitchell stormed back with eight straight points again. The teams traded possesions before a layup from Dayvon Russell (Naugatuck, Conn.) capped a small run and cut the lead to 25-22 with just under eight minutes remaining in the first half.
- A layup from Courie Stevenson (Waterbury, Conn.) gave Dean it's first lead of the game at 28-27 with just over five minutes remaining in the half. Mitchell responded. Hasani Williams (Miramar, Fla.) punctuated a rally for the home squad with a dunk to give the Mariners a 46-42 lead with 17 seconds left in the half, and Mitchell went into the break with a four point advantage.
- Mitchell stretched its lead to 12 in the early going of the second half with three straight baskets from Domenico Santiago (Port St. Lucie, Fla.). Back to back hoops from Jordan Booker (Waterbury, Conn.) cut the Mitchell lead to six with 12 minutes remaining and a layup from Russell off a steal from Malik Brown (Miami, Fla.) trimmed the deficit to three with under ten to play.
- Mitchell responded with six straight points to take a 79-70 and held the Bulldogs off the rest of the way. Dean was never able to get within striking distance again, losing 94-86.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Bulldogs were led by Russell, who finished with 22 points. Jordan Booker added 19 and five rebounds while Stevenson pitched in 13 points from the bench. Josh Croskey (Union, N.J.) finished with a double-double: 12 points and 12 boards.
- Williams led all scorers in the game, finishing with 30 points and 12 rebounds. Santiago added 23 points and recorded double-digit boards (10) as well.
- Dean's next contest is another NECC clash, squaring off at home against Southern Vermont on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
- Mitchell travels to Newbury College on Saturday for an NECC tilt at 1:00 p.m. as well.