MYRTLE BEACH, SC-
The Lead: Roanoke scored 11 runs in the first two innings on its way to a 12-5 win over Dean on Wednesday in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
How it Happened
- Will Black, Collier Donald and Craig Kiley each had two hits for the Maroons.
- Eli Sumpter went five innings on the mound for Roanoke to pick up the win. Sumpter allowed just one hit, struck out four and did not walk a batter to pick up his first win of the season.
- Roanoke had three hits and took advantage of two Dean errors to push across four runs in the first inning.
- In the second, Sean Guida walked with one out, stole second and then scored when a ball hit by Black was misplayed, allowing Guida to make it 5-0.
- Up 7-0 later in the inning, RC loaded the bases for Will Decker who connected for a grand slam to make it 11-0 Maroons.
- Roanoke scored its 12th and final run in the fifth inning when Guida was hit by a pitch with two outs, moved to second on a passed ball and came around to score on a Black single.
- Timothy Lombardi led Dean with two hits. He went 2-4 on the day. Daniel Blazejewski went 1-4 with a HR and 3 RBI. Conor Callery, John Cerretani and Aldo Ripley all had 1 hit as well.
- Tristan Spiller started and took the loss on the mound after giving up 11 runs in two innings. C.J. Ponce came on in relief and pitched 5 innings, giving up only 2 hits and 1 unearned run. Jon Lawlor held Roanoke scoreless in the final two innings, giving up only 1 hit and striking out 2.
Up Next: Roanoke will close out its spring break trip on Thursday when it squares off with Mount Aloysius at 3:00 p.m.
Dean plays a double header with Penn St. -Berks today at 10 AM and 1 PM.
Courtesy of Roanoke Athletics